Thursday, November 29, 2007

Xtreme GPU heatsink mod

I have been doing my own mods for some time now as well as helping others fix there consoles and creating there own custom mods. In my latest adventure to help someone with there xbox 360 that had been repaired by microsoft from the 3 red rings of death, microsoft just added an extra heatsink onto the main GPU (graphis proccessor unit) to help disperse the heat, so it got me thinking how i can save my xbox 360 from the previous 3 RROD it had suffered. Like many people i tried the towel trick with some success, but after time it came back and the towel didnt work, so i tried the X-clamp mod and replaced the thermal grease, this worked for some time with good success but now with the newer games coming out that demand more from the GPU in order to compete with the likes of sony and nintendo i started looking for better ways of cooling the GPU heatsink. One day my graphics card fan started to make noises so i decided to replace it and by accedent i ordered the wrong size at this time one of my mates xbox 360 started to suffer from the 3 RROD so in helping him out i started to replace his X-clamps and an idea hit me on how to use the smaller fan from another heatsink and imbeded it into my mates xbox 360 GPU heatsink with remarkable success. the extra fan in the heatsink kept it cool for hours even with the new games that are out now.Here is a photo of my work in progress!

MY WAY


MICROSOFTS way around the problem!

here is the complete heatsink mod all installed you will also need to make a notch in the thermal duct to allow for the cables to go through without getting crushed


TOOLS NEEDED
small dremel tool bit with a flat base
dremel tool or drill
small heatsink fan (found on ebay for about $7 with postage)
small phillips screw driver
pair of scissors (or a tool to straighten heatsink fins)
ALOT OF PATIENCE

No comments: